Should I use Moomoo or Vanguard for investing $20K in VAS and VGS?

alittlefox

New Member
Hey legends!
I’m absolutely pumped—I’ve finally opened a Moomoo account and I’ve got $20K ready to invest in ETFs! But honestly, I have zero clue what I’m doing, so I’m asking:

1. Is Moomoo a great platform to use, or should I be using something else?

2. I’m looking at splitting the $20K into VAS and VGS. Is this a good ratio for my portfolio, since it covers half for the Aussie maarket and half for the global market?

3. Since I’ll be investing in VAS and VGS, would it be better to open an account with Vanguard directly instead of Moomoo?

I plan to put in about $500 each month (and more whenever I can afford to) split equally in these 2 ETFs.
 
For the platform, look at CMC Invest. For each ETF purchase under $1k per day, there are NO trading fees. Over $1k, they still have a reasonable fee.

CMC Invest uses a CHESS sponsored model, so your share ownership record is registered with ASX directly. This gives flexibility down the track if you would like to change brokers you won’t have to sell and then buy again. This differs from the custodian model, where the broker holds the shares for you, and you have beneficial rights to those shares.

VAS and VGS is a good combination I personally wouldn’t be doing 50/50 however, as the Australian economy only represents about 2% of the world economy. If it was me, I would be doing about 70% VGS and 30% VAS.

Vanguard also has accounts direct, but these are custodian model. Free to buy but $9 sell. Very easy to use app but you can only purchase Vanguard branded funds, which may not always suit.
 
Personally, I use Betashares Direct because it’s super easy to use and I love the interface.

I’m invested in A200, BGBL and NDQ I find that a good spread and low cost.

To answer your questions, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the VAS and VGS combo. It’s extremely popular for a reason.

But if you’re only ever going to invest in those two ETFs, Vanguard actually have their own direct app, which might be a better option and cut out the middle man. Kinda why I like using Betasharres Direct for my Betashares ETFs.

Investing monthly is a great idea regardless of which provider you go with
 
Back
Top